The custom home construction process is far from easy; however, it can be a unique and rewarding experience, especially if it’s your first time building your home. If you want to enjoy the adventure of building a new home, you must start by making smart, focused building decisions. After all, there are so many things to consider when building your dream house. The more educated and prepared you are, the easier the process can be.
Important Details to Consider During the Custom Home Building Process:
A Solid DesignAsk yourself, “what is the function of this home?” Is your new house going to be most utilized as a summer getaway or is this the home you want to grow old in? It’s important to build with resale value in mind and to plan for not only the present but for the future.
Purpose of the RoomsDoes every room have a purpose? Don’t just build a room to “have more rooms” – optimize the same in your new home. Do you need space for guests to stay? A nursey? Maybe an at-home gym or hobby room? Make sure you’re thinking through all of the possibilities when creating the floor plan.
Inspect, Inspect, InspectDo a thorough inspection of the ground you want to build on and the rules that come with it. There are laws and codes that your house will be required to meet, and the faster you understand those requirements, the better.
Don’t Forget About the LandscapingDuring the building process, a lot of people just focus on the house as the main project. However, the landscape plays a pivotal role in how it all comes together at the end. Envision what you want your entire lot to look like including the lawn and landscaping.
Smaller Details to Consider That are Still Very Important
- Do you want an island? Will you be entertaining guests often?
- What kind of finishes do you want?
- Do you have enough pantry space?
- Are you putting the fridge in the cabinets or jutting out?
- Do you need space for wine or beer storage?
- Are your bedrooms away from the noisier areas?
- Are there enough outlets in the room?
- Will all of your bedroom furniture fit?
- Will the living room be open to the kitchen?
- Is there enough room for kids to play or to install a playroom?
- Do you have an idea about what type of entertainment system you want?
- Do you want a mudroom?
- Double doors?
- Will the utility room be off the entryway?
- Are you installing a chandelier?
- Are you building enough storage space?
- Do you need a lot of outlets?
- Built-in storage racks?
- How will you be using certain closets for space? (i.e., do you have a linen closet or a closet for cleaning items?)
- What will the finishes be?
- What type of flooring do you want?
- Do you want a shower and a tub?
- Have you considered the shower head height?
- Do you have enough cabinet space?
- Are there enough safety features for children?
- Have you planned out areas for pet things?
- Do you have a safe room for emergencies?
- Basement or crawl space?
- Do you want under the stairs storage?
- Have you considered the way your doors swing?
- What type of lighting do you want throughout the home?
- Have you checked your underground pipes?
- Is your home energy efficient?